Given the low turnout at recent elections, the few number of people putting themselves forward for election, the lack of awareness of Town Council meetings, discussions, and decisions, there seems to be a pressing need to reach out to the electorate more whole-heartedly and effectively.
As I pledged in my election manifesto, I am proposing that a working group is set up to address a range of issues:
- Communicating election and candidate information to the electorate
- Identifying and removing barriers to attendance and participation in Council meetings
- Encouraging participation in LTC-sponsored activities (ie Neighbourhood Plan)
- Improving effectiveness of Town Council communications with the community
- Encouraging and supporting people to stand for election
You can read the briefing paper which has been circulated to all town councillors here.